Sunday, April 5, 2009

Yuma Proving Grounds (12/29/08 - 12/31/08)

Todd, John and I shot out to Lake Martinez to a military camp ground for 3 days during the Christmas break. They both had purchased KLR's over the past month and wanted to test out their dirt skills.

This was to be my first off-road ride since my shoulder rebuild in November 2007. Happy to report that there were no difficulties. :-)

The KLR packed and ready for action:
001.jpg

John and Todd ready to leave in front of Todd's house:
004.jpg

On the way to the site, we stopped in Yuma for some supplies (Beer and Meat) and I had the opportunity to shoot this funny photo:

016.jpg

The guy must have stared at his situation for a good 15 minutes trying to figure out how to carry this thing home:

017.jpg

A guy on a Harley finally showed up and helped him... :-)

We made the lake just before sunset:
018.jpg

020.jpg

Took this photo for Tambo (She loves cats!):
021.jpg

It was a great site!
025.jpg

That night, we had some visitors. Unfortunately, in my haste to grab a photo, I failed to properly set the camera...but you get the idea:
032.jpg

The next morning up bright and early!
002_0.jpg

I'm such a dork. I've been a "Birder" ever since I took the tour at Sedona's Red Rock State Park:

004_0.jpg

005_0.jpg

John taking a photo of me taking a photo of him:
007_0.jpg

Great road!
011_0.jpg

John found a cave:
017_0.jpg

Really great scenery!
018_0.jpg

This is Red Cloud Mine, complete with it's imploded water tank and old school trucks:
025_0.jpg

The KLR's in front of the Colorado River!
030_0.jpg

It was a long hard day of riding and it was a nice break in the shade at a local restaurant.

John appears to be growing tired of Todd's constant attempts to get him to pick up the tab...
032_0.jpg

One of the absolute coolest things to do out here is to check out the tank museum. I love military tanks. I think one regret I'll take to my grave is never joining the military and playing with all of the cool gear!

040.jpg


I picture myself as such...:
044.jpg

The unfortunate reality is probably closer to this...:
046.jpg

All in all it was an excellent trip!!!
003_1.jpg
-D

No comments:

Post a Comment